A campaign to spread basic interventions while simultaneously reducing patient harm
WHY WAKE UP
- Reduces unnecessary sleepiness and sedation
- Minimizing sedation allows for early mobilization, reduction of delirium, decreased risk of respiratory compromise and shortened length of stay
- Over-sedation is a common adverse drug event
WHY GET UP
- Early progressive mobility allows patients to return to function more quickly
- Progressive mobility preserves muscle strength, reduces delirium, improves lower extremity circulation and lung capacity and reduces length of stay.
WHY SOAP UP
- Appropriate hand hygiene reduces the spread of infection
- Hand hygiene is the single most effective way to reduce the transmission of hospital-acquired infections
WHY SCRIPT UP
- Too many, too few or the wrong medications, including antibiotics, lead to adverse drug events, longer and more intense stays and readmissions.